"Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Homemade Yogurt


Thanks Erika!

When I first read my friend's post about making yogurt, something I've never done before, I decided I should try it. When I mentioned it to my mom - who is my guru when it comes to all things homemade, from lip balm to lotion to roasted coffee beans - she said "Oh I make my own yogurt every week!" Was everyone making yogurt but me?

I took the kids to the store on Monday to buy a candy thermometer, and we made our first-ever batch of yogurt that same afternoon. The recipe calls for an entire gallon of milk, but the girl who posted it recommended starting off with a quart until you get the feel for it.

I'm not one to start off small though. Why tiptoe when you can fling yourself headfirst? If I'm going to try something, I'm going to try it. My husband will attest to this fact, as will the closet filled with tubs of lip balm and baby hair clip supplies. But I digress.

We used this recipe, and it is GOOD!!! We've been eating it every day since. The only thing I will change the next time around - and there most decidedly WILL be a next time - is to leave it in its hot bath for a bit longer to produce a firmer texture. We left it vanilla flavored this time, but I'm hoping there are some fresh berries in our produce baskets this weekend!









1 comment:

redrockmama said...

Atta girl!! How fun for you guys. We really like it, Doug and Ashlyn eat huge bowl-fulls and we add some honey granola and golden raisins. We've added blackberries and raspberries as well. So yummy!! The cool thing is, with each quart that you make you can do a different flavor to change it up. I sometimes even add cinnamon and it is heavenly :0)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails