"Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Friday, March 16, 2007

The Real World

I get a lot of emails from friends and aquaintances curious about homeschooling. Not too long ago, I got a bunch of questions from a very sweet woman on one of my message boards. One of them was this.. "If kids don't go to school, how can they learn about the real world?" Which is odd to me, because exactly which world are Mike and I (and by extension the kids) living in if not the real world? This is the real world, this is life, and the kids are completely immersed in it.

I was thinking about this again yesterday because yesterday was payday. Payday comes twice a month, and twice a month I sit in the morning with my coffee and pay the bills. Yesterday, Spencer and Paxton asked if they could help. So we paid the bills together, and chatted about budgets and utilities and how our mortgage comes down faster if we pay a little extra each month... how important it is to keep the checkbook balanced... how the internet has made bill-paying easier... what happens if you don't pay your bills.

I don't know, I don't think it gets more "real world" than that.




LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails