"Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Haircuts and Hyprocrisy

I cut the boys' hair yesterday. They'd been asking for awhile, and for various reasons it kept getting pushed further and further back. Since our vacation is fast approaching, we knew we had to commit to doing it and stick to it. Because I'm a dork - and simple things amuse me - I made this:


and Everett taped it to the wall. He and Paxton both called (from the next room) for their appointments, and Spencer looked at me and said, "Mommy. Can't you just cut my hair?"

Party pooper :)

When I got out the clippers for Everett's mohawk, Tegan begged me to cut hers too. "Okay, sure," I told her. "I'll give you a trim," even though I knew that a trim wasn't what she really wanted.

She sat in the chair and I gave the very tips of some of her hair a tiny snip with scissors, and she cried. "No, with the clippers! I want it all cut off!! I want it like Spencer's!" And it wasn't the first time she'd asked.

Spencer's hair post-clipping is even shorter than this:


Then (this is the part where I'm a hypocrite), as much as I believe in giving children choices and autonomy, as much as I respect her right to take ownership of her own hairstyle, as much as I know that in the bigger picture, shaving her head wouldn't have mattered...

I talked her out of it.

Can you blame me?




Like the Path Less Taken on Facebook




LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails