Monday, January 10, 2011
I turn 37 today. I like the sound of that. Just as I enjoyed the latter part of my 20's, I am enjoying inching toward 40 as well... in fact, even more. The grey hairs, the furrow lines, the extra 5 pounds and all. Here are a few things I've learned in the past year:
1. I shouldn't drink wine while I'm on my laptop. Or water or coffee or tea or any other sort of beverage. This one is so important, I got to learn it over and over again.
2. Sometimes I need to give people more credit. And sometimes less.
3. People really do come into your life for a reason, a season, or a lifetime. If it's for a reason, sometimes the reason is quickly apparent, and sometimes it takes a long time to figure it out. But it's there.
4. Going on roller coasters is ten times as fun when you get to enjoy it with your kids, especially when it's their first time.
5. Thinking is good. Too much thinking is not good. Thinking at 2:00 in the morning when I can't sleep may or may not be good.
6. If there's a trailer parked in the street, I will back into it.
7. There are people in my life that I will never understand, and I need to be okay with that. Another one I get to learn over and over and over.
8. For years I thought I needed to develop a "thicker skin." I do not. I need to learn to learn to be comfortable with the skin I was given. I am sensitive for a reason.
9. Sometimes it's best to remain silent. Sometimes it's not.
10. Life is messy. Beauty can be found in the chaos, in the calm, and in everything in between.