"Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

I've Turned Into My Mother

I remember watching movies with my mom when I was little, even as a teenager, and looking at her like she was crazy when she would - inevitably - start to well up with tears. She cried when she was happy, she cried when she was sad, she cried when she was touched. I didn't get it.

And now, years later, it's happened. I don't know if it's getting older, or becoming a mother or what, but somewhere along the way someone flipped a switch. I cry when I'm happy, I cry when I'm sad, I cry when I'm touched. I can't seem to stop getting all misty-eyed. Case in point: someone posted this video, from a couple of years ago, of a little girl on America's Got Talent. It's just a four year old girl singing. Okay, she's arguably one of the cutest four year old singers ever, but still. Tegan wanted to watch it again and again and again and again, and by the time she ran offstage to hug her parents, my eyes were leaking. Every time. Every single time.

I'm my mom. But I guess if I have to be someone else, my mom's not a bad person to be....







3 comments:

JoAnn said...

My oldest girls laughed at me because I cried at the end of Toy Story 3. I cry easily....I get it from my mom who gets it oddly enough from her dad. I cry listening to songs and reading stories to the little girls. Aly is going to her first dance this weekend and I'll cry then too...but only after no one can see....I don't want to embarrass her. ;)

Jessica said...

Um. And I swear there's a connection between your tear ducts and your womb. Because the more babies I had, the worse it got. All I need now is a good commercial or country song. :)

L.J. Lowe said...

i remember her :) so adorably cute!

i cry at those things, too... you're not alone. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails