"Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Wednesday, December 02, 2009

On the second day of Christmas, my true love gave to me...


Day 2 - a trip to the Phoenix Zoo!

Today we met friends at Zoo for a fun afternoon. No words are really needed.... they had a great time as always. On the way home, they entertained themselves (and their mother) by making up new words to The 12 Days of Christmas, using different zoo animals for each of the days.






Today's Jesse tree ornament was a ram, to depict the story of Abraham and Isaac. Abraham was asked to sacrifice his son Isaac to prove his devotion and obedience to God. He was about to do so when God intervened and provided a ram for the sacrifice instead.

Genesis 22:11-12 "The Lord's messenger called to him from heaven, 'Abraham, Abraham!' 'Yes, Lord,' he answered. 'Do not lay your hand on the boy,' said the messenger. 'Do not do the least thing to him. I know now how devoted you are to God, since you did not withhold from me your own beloved son."

No matter how many times I read it, I am completely awed by this story. I remember hearing it as a kid, and thinking it was powerful even back then, but I hadn't the slightest idea of how it would affect me as parent, imagining I was asked to sacrifice my own child.





1 comment:

redrockmama said...

Ok, I had to comment. You are all in t-shirts and flip-flops! I bet the weather was just perfect for a trip to the zoo. I love Tegan's tie-dye shirt, too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails