"Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Decorating on a Shoestring



Day 1 - Take a trip to the dollar store for something new to decorate for Christmas.

We have a Dollar Tree right on our corner. I love Dollar Tree because: 1. Everything's a dollar, and 2. They literally have EVERYTHING. I've yet to do it, but if I really really wanted to, I could buy a pair of underwear for a dollar. While I tend to buy my underwear elsewhere, the dollar store is awesome for candy, spices, office and paper supplies, gift bags, etc. And it's perfect for small, seasonal items that cost 10 times as much in other stores (but really aren't any better quality)

Today the boys picked some Christmas sun catchers to paint, some window clings, garland to put on the mantel with the advent calendar, and some little decorative white doves. I also got a pretty runner for my table, new dry erase markers, and my can't-leave-without-them box of Milk Duds. Total cost: $12. The little countdown chalkboard was also a dollar store purchase, from last year.

The garland was so long I was able to cut it in half, and have one for both of my fire places:


Tegan was sleeping when the boys painted their suncatchers:


But she loved putting little snowflakes on the windows when she woke up:


Tomorrow we're venturing a little further from home..





1 comment:

redrockmama said...

We love Dollar Tree too, for those same reasons. Especially decorations and doo-dads because the other places jack up the prices so much. I'm looking forward to seeing your daily blogs and get a peek inside your home during the Christmas count-down. I need to start updating mine more often, as well. I remember painting the window ornaments as a child and loving it. What fun :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails